Strawberry Orange Milkshake
As Julia Roberts said in the movie Steel Magnolia’s, “Pink is my signature color.” And, yes, I do say it with quite the same lovely Southern drawl that Julia so eloquently did in the movie.
Today I am VERY excited to show you what has been happening behind the scenes of Desserts Required and I am tickled pink! As content as I had been with the original website colors, they were not quite me. Now I can very happily say that they are more representative of me.
In addition to the color change, the other very exciting news is the redesign of my logo. Desserts Required is all about desserts and since they are required, it was time to make it crystal clear to everyone just how required they are.
My cousin Jackie came up with the idea of putting a whisk at the end, like an exclamation point…baking style. My graphic designer and blogging buddy, Amy Kim of Kimchi MOM, took care of the rest and my wonderful web designer behind the site creation of Desserts Required, Yael Reinhardt-Matsliah of Pixel Happy Studio, made the site ‘pretty in pink’.
So, it follows that I simply had to blog about something pink today. Fortunately, we are still in 10,000 degree weather and what better way to quench my thirst than a pink Strawberry Orange Milkshake.
Initially, I was going to make a plain old strawberry milkshake but then Shoshana thought it needed something else. Living in South Florida, we naturally had freshly squeezed orange juice in the refrigerator. The OJ balances out the sweetness a bit; but for the fact that my kids actually preferred the taste as is, I would probably have added a touch of agave to make it a tad sweeter.
If the real truth be known, I was actually going to add some raspberry liqueur to make it more of a mommy drink but that idea was, also, nixed by my kids. Both Shoshana and Samuel strongly encouraged me to make a milkshake that they would be allowed to drink.
Now that my website is just the way I want it and my logo is cooler than cool, I am going to sit back, relax and enjoy my Strawberry Orange Milkshake. The only thing missing is a lovely wrap-around porch like Miss Julia had in the movie!
|Strawberry Orange Milkshake|| |
- 4 cups frozen strawberries
- 7 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk (whole, 2%, 1% or skim)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 3 strawberries, for garnish
- 3 orange slices, for garnish
- For the strawberry orange milkshake:
- Place strawberries, ice cream and milk into a blender. Blend until the mixture processes. Add the orange juice. Pulse until the mixture is the consistency you want.
- Divide the milkshake between 3 glasses. Garnish each glass with a strawberry and an orange slice.
- Betsy's tidbits:
- This is a fairly thick milkshake. If you prefer one less thick, add a bit more milk.
- This recipe makes 3 generous servings. Feel free to pour into smaller glasses and share with more friends.
- Store leftover strawberry orange milkshake in the freezer. You can choose to eat it more like an ice cream or, if you have the patience to wait, allow it to return to a milkshake consistency.