Rustic Munch Mix
Rustic Munch Mix came about when I had a craving for something salty with caramel and chocolate. I had the potato chips, pretzels and chocolate in the house, but did not have any caramel. Uh-oh!
I did have a can of sweetened condensed milk and knew that cooking it on the stove for several hours would turn it into dulce de leche, which is similar to a caramel with milk. Since I did not feel like going to the grocery store, I decided to give this a try.
I did a bit of research online before plunging the can into water and walking away. The best advice came from ehow.com. I poked a couple of holes in the top of the can and then placed the can into boiling water, brought it to a simmer and cooked it for 3½ hours. Be sure to add more simmering water to the pot so that the water level remains fairly constant.
After the can cooled completely, I opened it up and started stirring. The end result was a gorgeous dark milky caramel sauce that was perfect for the snack I had in mind. I threw my four ingredients together and, voila, my craving was satisfied.
I made my first batch of Rustic Munch Mix and shared it with friends. I debated mixing the chips, pretzels and dulce de leche together, scooping the mixture into balls and then dipping the balls into melted chocolate for a finer finish but chose not to go this route.
When I mentioned the other option to my friends, they told me not to change a thing. In fact, they loved the more rustic finish of this munch mix, which is why it is called Rustic Munch Mix.
Keep a batch handy in your freezer. It is great to share when friends stop by…if you have the willpower not to eat it all by yourself!
|Rustic Munch Mix
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups potato chips, broken into pieces
- 4 cups pretzels, broken into pieces
- 3 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Remove the paper from the sweetened condensed milk can. Poke two holes into the top of the can. Place the can in a pot. Fill the pot, nearly to the top of the can, with water. Remove the can and bring the water to a boil. Carefully place the can into the water, turn the water down and simmer for 3½ hours. Check the water level periodically and add more simmering water to the pot so that the level remains fairly constant.
- After 3½ hours turn the stove off and cool completely.
- Once cool, remove the lid and thoroughly stir the mixture until you have a gorgeous milky caramel sauce.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the potato chips and pretzels in a very large mixing bowl. Add the cooked sweetened condensed milk and melted chocolate. Mix the ingredients together so that the chips and pretzels are evenly coated.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and freeze until the mix is set. Break into pieces and enjoy.
- Store in the freezer.