Oatmeal Cherry Bars
Oatmeal Cherry Bars offer a delicious option when you’re looking for a fresh healthy spring time dessert. Best of all, they pair perfectly with CK Mondavi and Family’s Red Blend.
I am thrilled to be a Brand Ambassador for CK Mondavi and Family and to share some really exciting news. The G4 a/k/a the fourth generation of Mondavis are now officially involved in the family’s business, including CK Mondavi and Family. I recently watched a Brand Ambassador online tasting video (I was not able to make the live event) with Riana Mondavi. Besides bringing her depth of knowledge of CK Mondavi and Family wines, Riana also shines in her role as a key spokesperson for the Mondavi G4.
Our tastings included Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Red Blend which was previously called Scarlet Five, I loved the opportunity to learn more about each wine. The Red Blend is a smooth blend of five varietals; Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec, all from vineyards in the United States. Actually, one of the things I most admire about this company is how dedicated they are to sourcing everything connected with the company to businesses here in America. Click here to learn more about CK Mondavi and Family.
As one of my goals for this post was to offer a healthy dessert, I did not want to go overboard with sugar. At first I was worried that Oatmeal Cherry Bars were not sweet enough but when I tasted them with a glass of CK Mondavi and Family’s Red Blend, the cherry tones of the wine brought out the sweetness of the bars.
CK Mondavi and Family is running a monthly “#pairNpost” sweepstakes where Instagram and Twitter followers can post a photo of their ideal CK Mondavi and Family pairing. It’s a contest open to everyone so be sure to submit your pairing pic. I am going to submit these Oatmeal Cherry Bars! Just be sure to tag your pic #pairNpost.
|Oatmeal Cherry Bars|| |
- Cherry filling:
- 3 cups (395 grams) frozen unsweetened cherries
- 5 tablespoons (67 grams) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch
- ⅓ cup (77 grams) CK Mondavi and Family Red Blend wine
- 1½ cups (223 grams) all purpose flour
- 1½ cups (131 grams) old fashioned oats
- ⅔ cup (146 grams) sugar
- ⅓ cup (89 grams) light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (4 grams) salt
- 12 tablespoons (146 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- For the cherry filling:
- Place the cherries, sugar, cornstarch and wine into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the filling is clear and thick. The back of the spoon will drag through the filling, separating it as it goes. Remove from the heat and cool completely before preparing the dough.
- For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a 9" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Use a spoon to stir the ingredients together. Add the butter and mix in, either with your hand or the spoon, followed by the egg and vanilla.
- Press ⅔ of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with the cooled cherry filling. Crumble the remaining dough over the filling.
- Bake at 350º for 40 minutes, rotating the pan front to back halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Lift the parchment paper out of the pan and cut into bars.