I love when a great idea pops into my head; especially when it involves popcorn, chocolate, sea salt and, of course, Samuel!
Samuel is a popcorn addict. He loves going to our friends’ Ellen and Marc’s house because he knows that he pretty much has carte blanche to do what he wants. I think it has something to do with his ‘deliciousness factor’.
Samuel’s go-to choice is popcorn with a canister of grated cheese poured over the top. Mixing in is not even required.
I on the other hand, am a much bigger fan of chocolate and simply had to try a batch. Well, one batch turned into another, which turned into another.
Initially, I wasn’t sure how to prevent the popcorn from getting soggy once the chocolate was drizzled and stirred. Shannon at Searching for Dessert solved this mystery for me. Besides a delicious Caramel and Chocolate Popcorn recipe of her own, Shannon had, already, realized that refrigerating the popcorn prevents it from getting soggy. It works!
A sprinkle of sea salt with the melted chocolate and you, too, will be able to enjoy a big bowl of Chocolate Drizzle Popcorn. Big question is whether or not you like to play board games or watch a movie while snacking. Around here we like to do both at the same time!
|Chocolate Drizzle Popcorn
- ¼ cup popping corn
- ½ - 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
- sea salt to taste
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Double bag 2 paper lunch bags. Pour the popping corn into the bag and double fold the top down to close the bag. It will not be a tight seal but will keep the popcorn inside the bag.
- Microwave the popcorn on high for 2-5 minutes. There is a wide range because microwaves vary greatly. Once you can count 5 seconds in between pops, it is done.
- Remove from the microwave and carefully open the bag. Pour the popcorn onto the parchment paper. It is easy to pick out any unpopped kernels.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn and stir until you have the chocolate coverage you want. Sprinkle with sea salt and give the popcorn another quick stir.
- Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a plastic storage bag.