The Regional #RTFF
It’s been a long time since I have done a Road Trips for Food (RTFF) and I am so happy that my first one back was to The Regional Kitchen and Public House in West Palm Beach.
The Regional is home to two fantastic chefs. Executive Chef Lindsay Autry is a semifinalist for Best Chef South in the James Beard Foundation’s 2018 Restaurant and Chef Awards. Lindsay brings her Southern flare to each and every dish. At our dinner, we enjoyed several appetizers before moving on to the main course and by that I mean dessert.
The crust of the Tomato Pie is ideal to hold together the filling of roasted tomatoes, sharp cheddar, caramelized onions and herb aioli. The Grilled Octopus was cooked perfectly and was quickly devoured. Crispy Pork Belly, Country Style Sausage and Crispy Brussel Sprouts were winners, too. It made all of us happy to learn that most of the ingredients used at The Regional are sourced within a 50 mile radius; one of the many cool tidbits our fabulous server Chris told us.
Desserts made in-house is the requirement for any restaurant to be considered for a RTFF and The Regional is fortunate to have Executive Pastry Chef Sarah Sipe. I worked with Sarah at The Sugar Monkey and saw firsthand the beautiful cakes she created. I am so happy for and proud of her accomplishments at The Regional.
Naturally, we ordered one of each dessert. Let’s see, there were five of us and 9 desserts. Yup, that sounds about right! After all, how could we possibly decline any of these beauties:
- ROCKY ROAD BAR is served with candied almonds, toasted marshmallow and salted caramel ice cream and is everything you dreamed of in one dessert
- KEY LIME TWIST is key lime mousse, mixed berry sorbet, graham crumble with Florida citrus. Without a doubt, Louise summed it up the best when she said “The key lime and mixed berry came through with bursts of citrus and the graham cracker was grated like a fine Parmesan cheese”.
- MINT CHIP SUNDAE is mint chip & malted milk chocolate ice cream with amarena cherries (that we ordered extra of because they are that good) and chocolate wafer cookies. It was outgrageous and Sarah’s use of fresh mint is greatly appreciated.
- PASSION COCONUT PANNA COTTA is a combination of flavors with papaya, FL honey and lime lemongrass meringue. It is light and perfectly set; it practically dissolves in ones mouth and we all loved the twist of panna cotta flavor. That it was not too sweet, truly, made this a perfect dessert.
- SLICE OF MOM’S CARROT CAKE is really like having a slice of Sarah’s mom’s cake since the recipe came from her mom. In all seriousness, Sarah’s carrot cake was everything one dreams of with carrot cake; flavors that marry perfectly together with a cream cheese frosting that is both smooth and not overly sweet.
- PEAR HONEY GINGER HAND PIE was the hand pie of the day and it had a crust that we are all still dreaming about. The filling was an unusual pairing of flavors and, true to Sarah’s form, worked like a charm.
- PETITE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES come three to a bowl. The housemade ice cream is sandwiched between the best chocolate cookie around.
- CHOCOLATE PIE went on the menu for Valentine’s Day and was so loved that Sarah put it on the menu. Thank goodness!
As you can see from the list and pictures, our time at The Regional was fun filled and totally decadent. This is a restaurant that you have to put on your MUST GO TO list!
The Regional Kitchen and Public House
651 Okeechobee Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401