Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch
Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch is exactly what you need on day five of Passover!
It always infuriates me that the grocery store options for boxes of Passover matzo are along the lines of one 1 pound box for $8.99 or five 1 pound boxes for $16.99. I always need more than one box but the five boxes is way too much.
Part of the reason why I need more than one box is that I love making matzo toffee and Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch is added to a long list of other kinds; Matzo Munch, Chocolate Peanut Butter Matzo S’mores and Mixed Up Matzo Crunch to name a few.
I tried a couple of ways to make Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch. The first one did not spread the chocolate, marshmallows and walnuts together. The problem was that the marshmallows and walnuts fell off the matzo once it was broken into pieces. Swirling them together and then adding a few more mini marshmallows at the end took care of this beautifully.
The sprinkling of sea salt over Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch complements the flavors and makes this treat pop.
So relax when you see all that leftover matzo. Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch has got you covered!
|Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch|| |
- 4-5 square of matzo
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (261 grams) light brown sugar
- 2 cups (393 grams) chocolate chips
- 1 cups (106 grams) mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 cup (135 grams) chopped toasted walnuts
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a large baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil. Place matzo on the foil, breaking the pieces so that they fit. Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour the caramel over the matzo. Spread evenly with a small metal spatula, covering all of the matzo pieces.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, rotating the pan front to back halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and turn it off.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and ⅔ cup of mini marshmallows over the matzo. Place into the oven (turned off) for 1 minute. Remove and sprinkle the walnuts on top. Spread the chocolate, marshmallows and walnuts evenly over the matzo. Top with the remaining mini marshmallows and use the spatula to cover them with chocolate or they will not stay on once the matzo gets broken into pieces.
- Sprinkle the sea salt, lightly, over the Rocky Road Matzo Toffee Crunch.
- Allow the pan to cool completely and then transfer the pan into the freezer to allow the Chocolate Matzo Toffee to set for 15 minutes. Peel the matzo off the foil and break into pieces. Your choice if they are large pieces or small pieces.
- Store in the freezer.