This post is written in partnership with CK Mondavi and Family. As always, all opinions here are my own.
The theme of roasting is great this time of year and while many people think of roasted meats or vegetables, here on Desserts Required, I think of Roasted Berries. I know, HUGE surprise.
As I have mentioned in the past, I am so proud to be a Brand Ambassador for CK Mondavi Wines. I love the story behind the winery and the cohesiveness, love and support they have for each other.
Times have changed in the fruit world since my childhood. It used to be that I could only find apples, oranges and pears this time of year. I do like apples and oranges a lot but berries are the ones I dream about most.
I had just made my Butter Pound Cake when I received the email from the fab peeps at CK Mondavi and Family. My mind immediately thought of roasting berries to use on top of the cake. The question was which wine did I want to pair with my Roasted Berries.
I usually gravitate towards reds and CK Mondavi’s Cabernet Sauvignon would also work beautifully with Roasted Berries because of its cherry and blackberry flavors. Yet, after my wine tasting with Janet Mondavi where my tastebuds were opened up to the delightful crisp finish of their Chardonnay, I opted to pair my berries with their Chardonnay.
The end result? Well, let’s put it to you this way. I served this for dessert and everyone wished they had skipped dinner! It is your choice if you make or buy your butter pound cake. Here’s the link to mine, which I highly recommend using. Roasted Berries are also great over ice cream which is also great over butter pound cake. Best part? They ALL go beautifully with CK Mondavi and Family’s Chardonnay!
|Roasted Berries|| |
- 2 cups (300 grams) blackberries
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup (125 grams) raspberries
- 3 tablespoons (39 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a 9" x 13" baking pan with aluminum foil. Add the berries followed by the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir until mixed together.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven. Stir and use the back of a spoon to smash the berries.
- Serve hot or cold over butter pound cake or ice cream or both.