Four Times The Decadence
There is only one thing that is better than triple chocolate cookies…Quadruple Chocolate Cookies! That’s right, chocolate four ways in one cookie: melted chocolate, cocoa, chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
I was lying in bed the other night and started thinking of how delicious and rich the Gooey Brownie Cups are. As is generally the case with my desserts, I found myself wondering if I could achieve something similar in a cookie.
Sounded easy enough, except that I found that balancing the decadence of a fudgy cookie with the need for the cookie to actually hold its shape after baking was a tad challenging. The fudgy part was quick to nail down by simply adding 1¼ cups melted chocolate to the batter.
Getting it to hold its shape required much more effort and I tried every egg combination possible (number of eggs, some with egg white, some without…) before figuring it out. I must admit that I took tremendous pleasure in finally getting it right, even if it was after several rounds. I think it just reached the point where I was determined that a recipe was not going to beat me!
For this recipe, I used the taste buds of several friends. At carpool pickup I practically shoved cookies into peoples hands, whether they were on a diet or not. At lunch with my sorority sisters, I gave them samples of the final two rounds of the cookies to find out what they thought. Good thing, for my sanity, everyone loved the same cookie.
Quadruple Chocolate Cookies are delicate, so I would not recommend traveling with them. Then again, having four times the decadence of a chocolate cookie, these cookies won’t last long enough to travel to a destination other than ones mouth.
|Quadruple Chocolate Cookies
- 1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line four baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and sugar together in a mixing bowl for three minutes, scraping the bowl down as needed. Add the two eggs and one egg yolk separately, followed by the vanilla.
- Blend in ½ of the dry ingredients, then all of the melted chocolate. Add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Mix in chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
- Use a ½ tablespoon cookie dough scoop to scoop the dough onto prepared pans. Leave 1½” - 2” space between cookies as they spread.
- Bake at 325° for 14 minutes, rotating the pans top to bottom and front to back halfway through. Cool completely on pans.
- Betsy's tidbits:
- If you do not have four baking sheets, bake the cookies on the pans you have and allow them to cool on the pans before baking the next batch. You do not want to bake the next batch on a hot baking sheet as this will throw the timing off.
- Quadruple Chocolate Cookies are fragile cookies. Handle with care.