Peppermint Patty Cups
My friend Jessica posted a picture of a dessert on Facebook and tagged me in it with a comment that I should make something like it. Jessica’s photo was of a cupcake tin, you know the kind, with 12 cups. Four of the cups had chocolate chip cookie dough in them. The middle four had a peanut butter cup sitting on the cookie dough. The last four had brownie batter on top of the peanut butter cup that was on top of the chocolate chip cookie dough.
Most people would see that picture and think it was time to come up with a recipe like this. I, on the other hand, saw this as the perfect opportunity to combine peppermint chocolate chip cookie dough with peppermint patties and see what happens.
You mean you don’t think the same way? Don’t worry, after you try these Peppermint Patty Cups, you will know why you should!
The peppermint flavor bursting though each bite layer you take is what sets these Cups apart. Many of us grew up with the expression, “When I bite into a York Peppermint Patty…” I, for one, repeat this every time I eat one.
Yet, I can truly say, that had the peppermint taste come through only with the center, the Cups would have been lacking. They needed the extra zip of peppermint in the chocolate chip cookie dough. It is not overpowering, to be sure, but complements the delicious mint taste of the center peppermint patty.
On a recent Road Trips For Food that I blogged about I brought the seven ladies, who joined me, a Peppermint Patty Cup to go. I am not sure whose response I loved more, my friend who, at the restaurant table, finished her Cup before our food came out or my friend who wrote me a thank you note letting me know that her very good intention of sharing her treat with her daughter was quickly forgotten, because her willpower to wait fell short.
My friend’s daughter may not have been able to sample a Peppermint Patty Cup from her mom, but this recipe is so easy that everyone can put together a batch in no time at all.
Once you do, please let me know what you think when you, “Bite into your York Peppermint Patty”!
|Peppermint Patty Cups|| || |
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 6 miniature York Peppermint Patties
- For cups:
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Set aside a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and sugar together in mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes. This will not be light and fluffy. Add egg and peppermint extract.
- Blend in dry ingredients followed by chocolate chips.
- Spray 6 of the muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray. Use a large cookie dough scoop to scoop dough into 6 muffin cups, using about 2 tablespoons dough per scoop. Spread evenly on the bottom with fingers. Place a peppermint patty in the middle of dough. Top with another scoop of dough. If need be, use fingers to spread dough evenly over peppermint patty.
- Bake at 350°, on a rack in the middle of the oven, for 16 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely in the pan. Use a small metal spatula to go around the edges of the Peppermint Patty Cups.
- Remove from pan and serve.
- Betsy's tidbit:
- This recipe may be doubled.