Mixed Up Matzo Crunch
I have a problem. Actually, I have a HUGE problem. I made a batch of Mixed Up Matzo Crunch and nearly ate the entire panful before I got a chance to take pictures.
What makes it mixed up? I started with the matzo crunch recipe but instead of one topping on it, I mixed it up and added three! One third of Mixed Up Matzo Crunch was topped with roasted and salted nuts, one third with the nuts and chopped dried cranberries and the final third with M&M’s and sea salt.
There is no need to salt the sections of Mixed Up Matzo Crunch that include the nuts as they are already salty enough. The candy pieces needed a pop of salt to bring out the best flavor possible.
Feel free to mix them all together but I think whatever combination you go with of Mixed Up Matzo Crunch, it will disappear quickly.
|Mixed Up Matzo Crunch|| |
- 4-5 pieces of matzo
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (254 grams) brown sugar
- 1¼ cup (212 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Dried cranberries
- Salted and roasted assorted nuts
- M&M candies
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a large baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place the matzo in the pan, breaking the pieces so that they fit. Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour the caramel over the matzo. Spread evenly with a small metal spatula, covering all of the matzo pieces.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, rotating the pan front to back halfway through.
- Remove from the oven. Turn the oven off.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the matzo. Place into the oven (turned off) for 1 minute. Remove and spread the chocolate evenly over the matzo.
- Sprinkle the cranberries, nuts and M&M's as you wish to eat them. Combine the flavors or add in columns. Sprinkle sea salt on the areas that will do not have the nuts.
- Allow the pan to cool completely and then transfer the pan into the freezer to allow the Mixed Up Matzo Crunch to set completely.
- Transfer the parchment paper/ foil to a cutting board. Cut into pieces. Your choice if they are large pieces or small pieces.
- Store in the freezer.