Lemon Mascarpone Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce
There is one word that always gets my attention…contest! Not just any contest mind you, but one that involves food. More specifically, one that fits in some fabulous way into what I do on Desserts Required.
As you all may know by now the Food and Wine Conference is coming up very quickly. I can’t wait for the fun to begin July 17. I know that I am going to learn even more this year than I have learned in the past two. If you haven’t signed up to go, there is no time like the present.
How fortunate for all of us that Wisconsin Cheese is sponsoring the 2015 Wisconsin Cheese Recipe Contest. Cheddar cheese always used to come to mind when I thought of Wisconsin cheese. I had visions of a delicious Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Crust. Then I started researching a bit and found out that one of my favorite cheeses, mascarpone, is also made in Wisconsin.
Grilled Peaches with White Wine Peach Mascarpone, Raspberry Meringue Hearts and Tiramisu Cream Cups are a few of the recipes that I have created using mascarpone cheese. I knew that for this contest I had to develop a recipe that would woo everyone.
Finally, it hit me: Lemon Mascarpone Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce and Lemon Mascarpone Whipped Cream. This delectable dessert combines the elements of creamy and tangy with an added bonus of a hint of boozy in the sauce. The liqueur may be eliminated if so desired.
I know for this contest there will be many wonderful options and there is no way of predicting the outcome. I take comfort in knowing that we will all be winners each time we make our own Lemon Mascarpone Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce and Lemon Mascarpone Whipped Cream.
|Lemon Mascarpone Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce #FWCon|| |
- Lemon mascarpone pound cake:
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ⅔ cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- Raspberry sauce:
- 2 - 6 ounce packages raspberries
- 1½ tablespoons raspberry liqueur
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- Lemon mascarpone cream:
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1½ tablespoons confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- For the lemon mascarpone pound cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325° fahrenheit. Butter and flour a 5" x 9" loaf pan and set aside.
- Zest the lemon and then juice it. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour and baking soda and set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes, scraping the bowl down periodically. Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Blend in ½ of the dry ingredients and then the mascarpone cheese and lemon zest and juice. Lastly, add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly in the pan.
- Bake at 325° for 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- For the raspberry sauce:
- Place the raspberries in a bowl. Add the raspberry liqueur, confections sugar and lemon zest and gently stir to mix. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the lemon mascarpone cream:
- Place the cream, mascarpone, confectioners sugar and lemon zest into a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Use a small metal spatula to go around the edges of the cake pan. Turn the cake onto a cooling rack and invert.
- Slice a piece of lemon mascarpone pound cake, top it with raspberry sauce and dollop with lemon mascarpone cream.