This post is written in partnership with CK Mondavi and Family. As always, the opinions here are all my own.
It’s nearly summer time which means that everyone is ready for a picnic. If memory serves me correctly, two things are a must; dessert and wine. Fortunately, I’ve got you covered with Individual Berry Trifles and CK Mondavi wines.
What I love the most about Indivdual Berry Trifles is that they are so easy to scale up. The recipe yields two servings but you can increase the ingredients to serve as many as you need.
Combining mascarpone to the whipped cream helps stabilize the cream layer to hold up better in warmer weather. The key to insuring that the ladyfingers taste fabulous is macerating the berries in confectioners sugar and lemon zest so the cookies absorb the flavor.
Now that we have the dessert down pat, it’s time to talk about what wine we are going to pair with it. CK Mondavi sent me three varietals of wine to enjoy; Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. Whereas all three options could work, I chose to pair the Sauvignon Blanc because it is a medium bodied wine with subtle aromas of lemon and kiwi. Perfect to complement the Individual Berry Trifles.
There is one other itty bitty AMAZING detail I wanted to share. You have a chance to win a trip to Napa Valley and see why CK Mondavi and Family is so incredible. All you have to do is enter for a chance to WIN A TRIP TO NAPA VALLEY to play bocce with the Mondavis. Click here: bit.ly/CKMondaviBocce By the way, is it too much to ask that you take me with you as your ‘plus one’?!?
Whether you win the trip or not, you are still a winner when you serve Individual Berry Trifles!
|Individual Berry Trifles
- 8 ounces (230 grams) strawberries plus 2 additional strawberries for the garnish
- 6 ounces (169 grams) raspberries plus additional raspberries for the garnish
- 4 tablespoons (36 grams) confectioners sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup (129 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup (85 grams) mascarpone cheese
- 6 - 8 ladyfinger cookies
- Wash and dry the berries. Hull and slice the strawberries.
- Combine the sliced strawberries, raspberries and lemon zest with 2 tablespoons (18 grams) confectioners sugar. Macerate for 25 minutes.
- Beat the whipping cream with mascarpone and the remaining 2 tablespoons (18 grams) confectioners sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In an individual glass alternate layers of ladyfingers, berries with juices and cream. The ladyfingers will need to be cut to fit the glass. The glass used for this recipe held 2 layers of each component.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, garnish each Individual Berry Trifle with one hulled strawberry and several raspberries.
The best way to stay in the loop of what CK Mondavi and Family is doing is to follow them on social media. Here are the links: Facebook, Twitter (@ CKMondaviWines), Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube.
My fellow CK Mondavi Ambassadors have also created some fun recipes perfect for picnic like this Roasted Chickpeas Mediterranean Salad, Spicy Cucumber Salad, Strawberry Rhubarb Salad, Peach Panzanella Salad, Chicken Onion and Fig Tarts and Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich. Looking for dessert ideas: Strawberry Cream Cheese Bars and Lemon Chardonnay Pound Cake.