Grilled Nutella Banana Mascarpone Cheese
Grilled Nutella Banana Mascarpone Cheese sandwich…very close to heaven on earth. Yes, you are STILL on Desserts Required!
I know that I hardly ever, a/k/a have never, blogged a sandwich before. Not surprising because I am all about desserts and sandwiches do not, generally, fall into this category.
I opened up my Culinary Content Network facebook page and saw that the SWAT (Sharing With A Theme) for this week is Hot Sandwiches. The way that SWAT works is that everyone in the CCN is welcome to email the weekly theme recipes to The Daily Meal and some of those recipes are then selected for inclusion on thedailymeal.com.
I was thrilled to be included in The Daily Meal’s recent post of 12 Decadent Chocolate Desserts and decided that I would not let something like the word ‘sandwich’ stop me from participating this week!
The trick to making the perfect Grilled Nutella Banana Mascarpone Cheese sandwich is using the right kind of bread. I wanted brioche, but struck out at two grocery stores. I went with Italian bread and cut pretty thick slices. If the slices are too thin, the bread will not hold together when grilling.
I had fun smearing one side of the bread with mascarpone cheese and then layering the banana slices on top. Slicing the bananas lengthwise is the only way to keep them inside the sandwich when it gets flipped. The second slice of bread gets slathered with Nutella. Put the sandwich together and brush the outsides with melted butter.
I like to cook my Grilled Nutella Banana Mascarpone Cheese sandwich over medium heat, with the pan covered. Flip once the bottom is golden brown and cook the other side.
Once the Grilled Nutella Banana Mascarpone Cheese sandwich is finished, transfer it to a cutting board and slice it in half. Watch the heavenly oozing of the Nutella and mascarpone around the bananas.
But, not for long…this hot sandwich is not meant for anything but savoring. And you will be doing just that, bite after delicious bite!
|Grilled Nutella Banana Mascarpone Cheese|| |
- Italian bread or bread of your choice, cut into thick slices
- Bananas, one per sandwich depending on bread size
- Mascarpone cheese
- Butter, melted
- For the grilled Nutella banana mascarpone cheese:
- Slice the bananas lengthwise, about four slices per banana.
- Spread one piece of bread with a thick layer of mascarpone. Place bananas in a single row over the mascarpone. Spread a second piece of bread with a thick layer of Nutella. Place this over the bananas, Nutella side down.
- Butter the outside of both slices of bread with the melted butter. Place into a saute pan. Cover and cook over medium heat. Flip over once the bottom is golden brown. Cook until the second piece of bread is golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate, cut in half and dig in!
- Betsy's tidbits:
- There aren’t amounts for these sandwiches because there are too many variables….the size of the bread, the number of sandwiches being made and the number of spoonfuls of Nutella and mascarpone that will be eaten before making the sandwiches!