Gooey Mounds Brownie Cups
Gooey Mounds Brownie Cups came about when I was helping my friend Julie stuff goodie bags at her house this past Sunday and her one request was to bring something chocolatey. Julie was kind enough to give me carte blanche to create anything I wanted. I LIKE when friends tell me this!
My schedule was a tad busy over the weekend and I knew that I would not have a lot of time to play in the kitchen. Additionally, you will see that I have added a very cool feature to my blog…a video! I am still getting the hang of how to shoot a video on my own without subjecting you to being a part of my kitchen for hours on end!
Gooey Brownie Cups is one of my favorite desserts when I want an intense chocolate taste. Additionally, it is one of the easiest recipes I make. I wanted to add a twist to the traditional Gooey Brownie Cups and since I love Mounds candy bars, it was easy to decide what to do.
Do you remember the jingle, “Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don’t. Almond Joys got nuts. Mounds don’t.” Am I the only one who read that and started humming at the same time? Well, I was not feeling nutty so Mounds won.
I adapted the center of the Chocolate Coconut Bonbons to use in my Gooey Mounds Brownie Cups and this worked out beautifully. The Cups have the decadent chocolate taste with a fabulous coconut center.
I was able to put a gigantic smile on Julie and her son Aaron’s face when they each had one and I hope my video puts a smile on your face, as well. Be sure to let me know what you think as my new ‘video career’ begins!
|Gooey Mounds Brownie Cups
- Mounds filling:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3½ ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1¼ cups chocolate chips
- For the mounds filling:
- Place all of the ingredients into a small bowl. Stir until completely blended together.
- Line a small baking pan with aluminum foil. Scoop about 1¾ teaspoons of filling into a ball and place onto the baking sheet. Freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- For the brownie:
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Set aside a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Place the butter, brown sugar and sugar into a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave until the mixture is completely melted and bubbly. Be sure to use oven mitts when removing from the microwave as the bowl will be very hot.
- Whisk to blend the ingredients together. Whisk in vanilla, then the flour and salt.
- Continuously whisk the mixture while adding the eggs, to prevent cooking the eggs.
- Lastly, use a wooden spoon to mix in the chocolate chips. Most will melt, but you may have some that still hold their shape.
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Use a 3 tablespoon scoop to transfer the brownie batter. For each cup: scoop out half of the brownie scoop (1½ tablespoons) into the muffin cup – place a mounds filling over this – top with remaining 1½ tablespoons brownie batter.
- Bake at 350°, on a rack in the middle of the oven, for 18 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely in the pan. Use a small metal spatula to go around the edges of the Gooey Mounds Brownie Cups.
- Remove from the pan and serve.
- Betsy's tidbits:
- The more the chocolate chips melt, the more chocolatey your cups will be.
- I use a 3 tablespoon cookie dough scoop to transfer the brownie batter into the muffin cups. I eyeball the 1½ tablespoons of batter for the bottom and top of each Gooey Mounds Brownie Cup. Some may have a tad more on the bottom than the top and vice versa. No worries…they all taste great!