My monthly visits to Quantum House offer me the opportunity to bake something that will excite the kids staying there. Coconut Jelly Bean Bars did not disappoint.
Basically, I baked a shortbread crust and then topped it with a delish coconut topping that included colorful jelly beans. What could possibly be bad there, right?
The only thing I wondered was whether or not they would be too sweet with the jelly beans. Happily, they were not!
Coconut Jelly Bean Bars are a breeze to put together and a great option to include in an Easter basket. Just don’t limit yourself to one day a year to enjoy them.
|Coconut Jelly Bean Bars|| |
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams) sugar
- 1 cup (146 grams) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (35 grams) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup (159 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups (123 grams) shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup (161 grams) jelly beans
- For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8” x 8” baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Blend the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Add flour and blend well. Transfer the crust to the prepared pan and press evenly into the bottom.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- For the topping:
- While the crust bakes, whisk together ¼ cup flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, gradually add the sugar to the slightly beaten eggs. Add the vanilla followed by the flour mixture. Stir in the coconut and jelly beans.
- Once the crust comes out of the oven, spread the topping over the crust. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Cut into the bars while they are still warm. Cool completely before removing them from the pan.