Coconut Cranberry Pineapple Bars
This post for Coconut Cranberry Pineapple Bars was written as part of the CK Mondavi Ambassador program. All opinions are my own. #CKMondaviHolidayBaking #CKMondaviAmbassador #CKMondaviWines
The holiday season is definitely here and with it comes lots of cookie exchanges and parties. Coconut Cranberry Pineapple Bars will be just what you need to please everyone on your ‘nice’ list. Ok, you may even want to share them with those on your ‘naughty’ one, too.
The idea started when I received my care package from CK Mondavi Wines. In addition to two of my favorite wines, Red Blend and Chardonnay, was a can of Dole Pineapple Chunks. I do love pineapple and thought how festive it would be if I combined it with coconut and cranberries. Just be sure to let the pineapple chunks sit in a strainer for awhile so that they are not too liquidy when adding to the batter.
Coconut Cranberry Pineapple Bars start with a shortbread base that bakes on its own. The coconut-cranberry-pineapple topping is then transferred onto the partially baked crust and put back in the oven to finish baking.
It is important to cut the bars in the pan while they are warm and then let them cool completely before removing them from the pan and cutting through once more.
The only thing left to decide was which of my CK Mondavi Wines would pair best with Coconut Cranberry Pineapple Bars. Their Red Blend is their signature cuvee, an expression of five red varieties capturing the best of each vintage. It’s a full bodied wine that I felt would complement the cranberries in the recipe. Their Chardonnay has aromas of lemon and citrus with a delightfully crisp finish. I knew this would complement the pineapple in the bars.
Bottom line was pretty easy to reach; BOTH! Seriously, you can’t go wrong pairing Coconut Cranberry Pineapple Bars with CK Mondavi Wines’ Red Blend or Chardonnay. Here’s a bonus for all of us – CK Mondavi Wines is offering up to $2 off any one 750ml or 1.5L bottle of wine through the new SWIZLE APP and WEBSITE. Hop over today for immediate savings! Also, look for CK Mondavi’s special holiday promotions on their wine bottles in stores now through January 31, 2018.
I am proud to be a CK Mondavi Ambassador for the third year in a row. I love the story of how the company began and that the fourth generation (G4) is continuing a legacy started almost 75 years ago, one destined to continue for generations to come. Combine this with quality wines at resonable prices and call it a win/win!
|Coconut Cranberry Pineapple Bars|| |
- 8 tablespoons (108 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons (39 grams) sugar
- 1 cup (134 grams) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (33 grams) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup (163 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) pineapple juice from the can of Dole pineapple chunks
- 1 cup (82 grams) shredded coconut
- ½ cup (99 grams) chopped Dole pineapple chunks well strained
- ½ cup (72 grams) dried cranberries, chopped
- For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8” x 8” baking pan (or line with parchment paper not buttered) and set aside.
- Blend the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Add flour and blend well. Transfer the crust to the prepared pan and press evenly into the bottom.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- For the topping:
- While the crust bakes, whisk together ¼ cup flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, gradually add sugar to slightly beaten eggs. Add vanilla and pineapple juice followed by the flour mixture. Stir in the coconut, chopped pineapple and chopped cranberries..
- Once the crust comes out of the oven, gently spread the topping over the crust. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Cut into bars while still warm. Cool completely before removing them from the pan.