Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach
Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach is the perfect post for this week’s #SundaySupper Stuff, Roll and Wrap theme.
Many people think that it’s inappropriate to stuff, roll or wrap a dessert. Let me assure you that desserts fit into all three categories just perfectly.
Rugelach is a Yiddish word that means ‘little corners’ or ‘little twists.’ They kind of look like straight croissants. Rugelach is a traditional Jewish pastry that can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach is not the way one usually sees rugelach sold or made. Actually, it is far from it. What can I say? Even though I love raspberry, apricot, peach and cinnamon/raisin rugelach, I wanted to dress it up a bit for today’s event.
The chocolate dough is not overly sweet and works beautifully with the hazelnut spread and mini chocolate chips that are rolled into the dough.
The first time I made Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach I was a tad worried about how they were going to turn out. Not sure why, other than the fact that I was baking in totally new territory.
Fortunately for all of us, Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach turned out to be so addicting that I had to get them out of the house PDQ! I ate three of them and could have gone back for more.
So, when you make your batch of Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach, be prepared either to use a great deal of discipline or to share!
Pin it horizontally: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/26106872815257921/
Pin it vertically: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/26106872815257934/
|Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach #SundaySupper|| |
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 3 egg yolks
- 1½ cups hazelnut spread, divided
- 9 tablespoons mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- sugar for sprinkling
- Place the flour, sugar, cocoa and salt into a food processor. Process to mix them together. Add the butter and cream cheese and pulse on/off until they are partially mixed in. Add the eggs and pulse on/off until the mixture resembles peas. It will be very moist.
- Divide the dough into thirds and flatten each piece into the shape of a disc. Wrap each disc in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 1½ hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out one disc of dough in between two sheets of parchment paper until the dough is about ⅛” thick. Spread ½ cup hazelnut spread over the dough leaving a ½” rim of dough exposed. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips over the hazelnut spread.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 12 pieces. First cut the dough into quarters and then cut the quarters into thirds.
- Roll up the dough starting on the outside and rolling to the middle. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet. If the dough is soft, place it into the freezer for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Brush the top of each rugelach with egg and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Many thanks to Amy at kimchi MOM for hosting today’s fab event. Please be sure to check out all of the wonderful #SundaySupper stuff, roll and wrap options!
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.