Chocolate Eggnog Truffles #SafeNog
Did you grow up drinking eggnog during the holiday season? I, vaguely, remember tasting it but the craving for eggnog did not really kick in until I was an adult. Then, it became very hard to resist.
However, I was always nervous about making my own eggnog because most recipes called for raw eggs and my salmonella phobia stopped me from making it at home.
I discovered Davidson’s Safest Choice® Eggs and let me assure you that my eggnog world has never been the same. Davidson’s Safest Choice® Eggs are pasteurized in an all-natural, gentle water bath and this process eliminates the risk of that awful salmonella without changing the nutrition or flavor. They are, also, all-natural, hormone free, antibiotic free, vegetarian-fed and kosher.
Which makes this Chocolate Eggnog Truffles post even more special for me. I started out by making my very first pitcher of eggnog. I had total piece of mind sharing it with my friends and family, dusting a bit of nutmeg on everyone’s drink and adding rum for my adult friends.
Yet, how could I stop there? I used my homemade eggnog as the cream base for Chocolate Eggnog Truffles. After the truffles set and the balls were shaped, I rolled them in a delicious confectioners sugar/nutmeg mixture. Talk about a fabulous idea!
The end result was a truffle worthy of the most decadent store. Only you now know how easy they are to make. Well, you and the wonderful people at Safest Choice™ who are hosting a Dozen Days of Nog, a Facebook event that runs December 13-24.
Their Facebook event page is the central hub of activity and features a recipe contest as well as blog posts. It is a one-stop-spot for foodies to connect and share tips and advice. Safest Choice™ will post a question a day related to baking, recipes, holiday preparation and more.
What are you waiting for? Head on over and join in the fun!
|Chocolate Eggnog Truffles #SafeNog|| |
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Eggnog Truffles:
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate
- 8 dashes ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- For the eggnog:
- Beat the egg, egg yolk and sugar together until light in color. Add the milk, cream and vanilla.
- For the chocolate eggnog truffles:
- Heat the eggnog in a small saucepan just until it simmers, stirring constantly. Immediately pour over the chocolate. Gently stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Stir in 4 dashes of nutmeg.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a small cookie dough scoop to transfer the ganache onto the prepared pan. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- Line a second baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together the confectioners sugar with 4 dashes of nutmeg.
- For smooth truffles, roll the balls between the palms of your hands. Roll the truffles in the confectioners sugar mixture and place them on the second baking sheet.
- Refrigerate to set.
- Store the truffles in the refrigerator but allow them to come up to room temperature before serving, if you can wait that long.
Compensation was provided by Davidson’s Safest Choice® Eggs . The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Davidson’s Safest Choice® Eggs.