Chocolate Cranberry Brownies
‘Tis the holiday season and what better way to share the spirit than with Chocolate Cranberry Brownies. Because fresh cranberry season goes by so quickly, I like to take full advantage of this tart fruit while I can.
When I received an email stating that OXO is planning a campaign about mixing up the holidays and that one of the highlights is OXO’s new OXO On Illuminating Digital Hand Mixer, I knew I wanted in. I was, totally, intrigued by the thought of a hand mixer that would, literally, shed new light on the batter and dough being mixed.
I have a hand mixer that is older than my 24 year old son so you can only imagine my excitement as I waited for my package to arrive. What I discovered is that OXO’s mixer is wonderful for more reasons than the light.
I chose Chocolate Cranberry Brownies because I knew that the batter would work nicely using a hand mixer. The blades insert easily into the body of the mixer and the weight is well balanced, while it is running. My favorite feature is that it stands flat on the counter as I am adding other ingredients. No more batter drippings on my countertops. I, also, love that the chord wraps neatly around the base for storage so no more mangled chords, either.
After the cranberries are cooked and cooled, they are folded into the batter. The tartness of the cranberries works in tandem with the sweetness of the batter and the chocolate chips. Chocolate Cranberry Brownies really are a perfect way to celebrate the season.
|Chocolate Cranberry Brownies|| |
- 8 ounces whole fresh cranberries
- ½ cup (3.80 ounces) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup (4.80 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (.10 ounces) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 12 tablespoons (6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups (15.20 ounces) sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon (.05 ounces) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6.50 ounces) chocolate chips
- For the cranberries:
- Place the cranberries, sugar, cinnamon and water into a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until all of the mixture is thick. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the brownie:
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate in a large bowl. Beat in the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time followed by the vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the cooled cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350º for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting.
An OXO On Illuminating Digital Hand Mixer was provided to me. All opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of OXO.