It’s that time of year for one of my favorite holidays…Super Bowl! My Beloved Browns are not playing but I will still have fun while popping these Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bites throughout the festivities.
There are many shortbread recipes out there that use only three ingredients; butter, sugar (some use confectioners while others use granulated sugar) and flour. As I bake with unsalted butter, I included salt in my recipe.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bites wouldn’t really earn their name if there weren’t a ton of chocolate chips and since vanilla brings out the best in chocolate chip cookies, I added some of this, as well.
I think everyone gets that I am a fan of using the fewest pots and pans possible to acheive a baking goal. Why waste a pan to shape the dough when I could simply press the dough into an 8″ x 10″ block? Be sure to freeze the dough briefly before cutting the bite size pieces and then, once they are cut, spread them out and bake.
If you are not a Super Bowl fan, no worries. Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bites will be perfect every other day of the year, too!
|Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bites|| |
- 2⅛ cups (295 grams) all purpose flour
- ¾ cup (87 grams) confectioners sugar
- 16 tablespoons (217 grams) unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon (4 grams) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour and confectioners sugar. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and salt. Add the vanilla extract.
- Blend in the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Add the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture to the parchment paper. Form into an 8" x 10" block. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and place the parchment paper on a cutting board. Cut 10 squares across and 13 squares down. Transfer the parchment paper back onto the baking pan and spread the pieces out so that they are not touching each other.
- Bake at 325° for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.