Cannoli Cream Strawberries
Visiting the Florida Strawberry Growers Association‘s groves with my Sunday Supper family a month ago inspired me to create Cannoli Cream Strawberries. When shopping for strawberries, I now look for the Florida Fresh logo feeling a sense of pride for the dedication and hard work that Florida growers put into insuring we get quality Florida strawberries from November to April.
Strawberries are perfect to use for Valentine’s Day desserts. Linzer Hearts and Mom’s Strawberry Pie are always big hits but this year I wanted something that could be whipped together at the last minute. I am a huge cannoli lover although I must admit, ricotta cheese is not my favorite ingredient. So I made a non-traditional filling for Cannoli Cream Strawberries.
I did not include ricotta and, instead, whipped together mascarpone, cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla before adding miniature chocolate chips. Be sure to pat the cut out center of each strawberry before filling with the cannoli cream.
The recipe may be halved or doubled depending on the number of people being served. When I took a batch to a friend’s house for dinner this past Friday night, the two quarts of Cannoli Cream Strawberries were inhaled. Always a great compliment!
|Cannoli Cream Strawberries
- ¾ cup (6.60 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- ⅓ cup (3.05 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (1.25 ounces) confectioners sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (2.55 ounces) miniature chocolate chips
- 2 quarts strawberries
- Place the mascarpone, cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Beat until the mixture is stiff. Remove from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the filling to a gallon size plastic freezer bag. Seal and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Wash and dry the strawberries. Cut off the stems and carefully cut out the center of each strawberry. Dry the inside and cut side completely before filling.
- Cut an opening in one of the bottom corners of the plastic bag. Squeeze the cannoli cream filling into each strawberry, extending it out over the top.
- Refrigerate until serving, up to 4 hours.