Candy Cane Cookie Bundt Cake
Something magical happens this time of year that we must celebrate; candy cane cookies and peppermint crunch candies are in the stores. You do have to hurry, though, because the season is much too short and then we have to wait another 10 months or so for the next batch to arrive. Candy Cane Cookie Bundt Cake combines both treats into one decadent dessert.
The idea for the inside of the cake came from my Dalmatian Cake which is always a family favorite. The candy cane sandwich cookies are packed with peppermint flavor and add a very cool color contrast to the inside of the finished cake.
I did not think that the cookies alone would deliver the ‘WOW’ peppermint taste I was seeking so I included peppermint oil into both the cake batter and the glaze.
Why stop there? I didn’t! I chopped up peppermint crunch candies and put them over the glaze. Be sure to do this before the glaze sets or the candies will fall off the cake.
I baked Candy Cane Cookie Bundt Cake to take to a friend’s house. Samuel and I were rushed and we had to drop the cake and run. I received a text message from my friend saying, “Best cake I’ve ever had in my whole life! Omg!”
Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Heritage Bundt Pan As an Amazon Affiliate Partner, I earn a few pennies when someone buys through Desserts Required but the only products I list are ones I like, too.
You NEED Candy Cane Cookie Bundt Cake in your life. Just be sure to buy the ingredients while they are still available!
|Candy Cane Cookie Bundt Cake|| |
- Candy cane cookie cake:
- 2 cups (271 grams) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cups (376 grams) sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup (182 grams) sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops peppermint oil
- 16 candy cane sandwich cookies, quartered
- Glaze and topping:
- 1½ cups (189 grams) confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons (34 grams) milk
- 2 drops peppermint oil
- 15 (73 grams) peppermint crunch candies, chopped
- For the candy cane cookie cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter and flour a 10 cup swirl bundt pan or traditional bundt pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time. Blend in half of the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the sour cream, vanilla extract and peppermint oil. Add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Remove from the mixer and fold in the sandwich cookies.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325° for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Cover the top of the pan with a cooling rack. Turn upside down and gently remove the pan. Allow the cake to cool completely before glazing.
- For the glaze:
- Combine the confectioners sugar, milk and peppermint oil into a small bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Transfer the glaze to a quart size freezer bag. Seal the bag and cut off a small corner. Place the cooling rack over a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Squeeze the glaze onto the cooled cake.
- Top with chopped peppermint crunch candies.
- Allow the glaze and topping to set and then serve.