Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies
Today, my Sunday Supper Movement family is showcasing foods that Dads love. My dad is one who has a very fine tuned list of favorite desserts but I have already blogged about Lemon Meringue Pie, Mom’s Strawberry Pie, Nana’s Rice Pudding, Spicy Smiles and Nana’s Butter Cookies. So I decided to take it down a generation and focus on how Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies happened.
Baby Boy doesn’t ask for lots of desserts. Then again, there are plenty of options available on a regular basis. Yet, one day he put in a special request and Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies was the end result.
I guess I should backtrack just a bit. I stopped buying bananas years ago when I found nobody ate them before they turned to mush. It wasn’t until my brilliant friend, Ellen, pulled out a banana from the fridge that this changed. The outside does brown but the inside lasts longer and is still delicious. Plus, I discovered that I loved bananas really really cold.
How is this relevant? Well, I had an overripe banana in the fridge as well as a perfectly ripe-for-eating banana. Many people would find this conflicting, when it comes to baking. Not I.
I mashed the overripe banana with cream cheese and just a touch of sugar. This was poured over half of the coconut chocolate chip brownie batter. Then came my stroke of brilliance; I sliced that perfectly ripe banana over the cream cheese mixture before adding the other half of the batter.
The end result is an exceptional Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies that made Baby Boy very happy. I have no doubt they will make you happy, too. Even more importantly, I am confident that they will make Dad happy on this wonderful Father’s Day!
|Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies #SundaySupper
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces (115 grams) unsweetened chocolate
- 8 ounces (220 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 cup (137 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (4 grams) salt
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (448 grams) sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (118 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cups (54 grams) sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 ripe banana
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9" x 13" pan with parchmant paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate and set aside.
- Mash the cream cheese with the very ripe banana and 2 tablespoons (26 grams) sugar until it is smooth, although it will still have bits of banana in it. Set aside.
- Place the remaining 2 cups (422 grams) sugar into a large bowl. Whisk in the melted chocolate/butter. Continuously whisk while adding the eggs so that they do not cook.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, coconut and vanilla.
- Transfer half of the brownie batter to the pan and use a small metal spatula to spread it evenly over the bottom. Spoon the banana/cream cheese mixture on top and use the spatula to swirl it into the brownie batter.
- Slice the ripe banana over the banana/cream cheese layer and top with the remaing brownie batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Refrigerate until cold and then cut into bars.
Let’s see what other fabulous Father’s Day recipes my fellow Sunday Supper family has to offer!
Sunday Supper Father’s Day Menu Ideas
Sides Dad Will Love
Mains for the Main Man
- Blue Cheese Bacon Burger with Crispy Onions Strings by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Chicken Fajita Burgers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chili Cheese Omelet by Food Lust People Love
- Chinese Chicken Salad by Pies and Plots
- Cider Braised Pork Belly Tacos by Gourmet Everyday
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches by Soulfully Made
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Cilantro Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger (The JCB) by This is How I Cook
- Korean BBQ Steak Bowls by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Out of a Can Chili by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pork Chops With Brandied Cherries by Mysavoryspoon
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Tofu Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Devil’s Food Strawberry Shortcake by The Freshman Cook
- Simple Fudgy Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Snickery Springform Cookie by What Smells So Good?
The Best Recipes You Need Now for Father’s Day by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.