Banana Berry Bread #SundaySupper
Father’s Day is just around the corner which means that my Sunday Supper family is making sure we are all prepared to pamper dads everywhere.
My dad is not one to dive into the kitchen….ever! Well, almost ever. Growing up, Dad made one dish – Toad in the Hole. You may know this as a different name. Dad would take a piece of bread, cut a hole in the middle, pop an egg into the hole and cook it on the stove. American cheese would go over the top if we were really good.
Dad definitely has his favorites to eat like Mom’s Strawberry Pie and of course Lemon Meringue Pie. This year I decided to make something that would be perfect to make for Dad, although I must admit that Banana Berry Bread may be a tad too busy for my dad’s happiness.
You see, when I was at the Food Wine Conference this year I met the fab folks from Stoneridge Orchards. They were giving samples of their chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate covered cherries. I kept going back for more of these as well as packages of a variety of dried fruits.
Fast forward and I came home knowing I had to make something special with all of my goodies. I had several bananas that were perfect for baking and put two and two together and realized Banana Berry Bread could really work well.
I did not want to add the dried fruit directly into the batter from the packages so instead, I cooked them on the stove with some orange juice to rehydrate them. This worked beautifully as the berries were nice and plump.
I hope your dad enjoys Banana Berry Bread as much as I enjoyed making it.
|Banana Berry Bread #SundaySupper|| |
- 5.75 ounces dried mixed berries, I used a combination of Stoneridge Orchards' dried blueberries, cherries and cranberries
- ⅓ cup (2.75 ounces) orange juice
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (.25 ounces) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (.10 ounces) salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups (9.50 ounces) sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup (3.45 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon (.10 ounces) vanilla extract
- Place the berries and orange juice into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and continue to cook just until the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a 9" x 5" baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Blend in the bananas. Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Blend in half of the dry ingredients followed by the sour cream and vanilla. Add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Remove from the mixer and fold in the cooled berries.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40 - 45 minutes, rotating the pan front to back halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Lift the parchment paper out of the pan, peel it back and slice the Banana Berry Bread.
Many thanks to Sarah of The Chef Next Door for hosting this week’s Sunday Supper event. Please be sure to check out the other wonderful recipes sure to please dads everywhere.
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Plus What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.