Apricot Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
How Apricot Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies came about was pretty funny. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. a few days ago and could not fall back to sleep. Instead, all that I was thinking of while lying in bed was an apricot and walnut cookie. My mind raced along debating what to include and what to leave out.
I think it started when I bought fresh apricots. Apricot season is so short that I try to take advantage of it when they are in the store. Sadly, even though the apricots all felt, smelled and looked the same, they did not taste alike and some were a tad disappointing.
Yet, apricots stayed on my mind.
I opted for dried apricots so that the color and flavor would be consistent. I did not want Apricot Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies to be a chocolate chip cookie that had a few flecks of other ingredients included. Knowing that fewer chocolate chips would still resonate throughout the cookies, I added double the amount of dried apricots and three-quarters the amount of walnuts vs. the chocolate chips.
The end result is that Apricot Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies are a wonderful burst of apricot flavor with the bonus of walnuts and chocolate chips. Best of all, they will be fabulous long after the apricot season ends.
|Apricot Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies|| |
- 1⅓ cups (198 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (4 grams) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (5 grams) ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (211 grams) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (35 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (162 grams) dried apricots, diced
- ¾ cup (82 grams) chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (92 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 or 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar and brown sugar into a mixing bowl and beat on medium high speed until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla.
- Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the apricots, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Use a ½ tablespoon cookie dough scoop to transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes. The cookies will be light brown on top and bottom.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.