Rice Krispies Kit Kat Bars
“A kid in the candy store” has always been an expression to which I could easily relate. I mean, really, one gets wide eyed and is not sure where to begin, which is precisely how I felt when I went into a bulk candy store the other day. The aisles were filled with all sorts of candies, bagged in large quantities, waiting to be bought.
When I saw a very large bag of miniature Kit Kat bars on sale for $6.50, I had to buy it. I was not sure what I would do with all the candy bars, but believed that if I bought it, the idea would come.
And so it did. I thought that Samuel and I were supposed to go to a friend’s home for dinner this past Friday, but found out at the last minute that we were eating instead at their clubhouse. One of the desserts I had intended to make was not really appropriate to carry into the Grill Room; so I had to make a last minute switcharoo.
I had bought the fixings for Rice Krispies Treats with the intention of throwing in the kitchen sink, a/k/a the leftover candies in my pantry. Then I realized that my gigantic bag of Kit Kat bars would be even better.
The chocolate taste from the candy bars adds a wonderful element to the treats and the extra crunch is fantastic.
Samuel had a great time helping me, as you will see in the video. I think we both consumed a couple of Rice Krispies Kit Kat Bars before the shooting was over and I loved watching him ‘glue’ the Kit Kat bar on to the top of each treat, using melted chocolate.
Samuel is already coming up with new dessert ideas that will be sure to cast him the starring role. Stay tuned…deliciousness is on the way!
AN ADDITIONAL NOTE….
Today, we all have the added pleasure of having my friend, Tom Brodigan, serve as my photographer for the featured image. You will have the opportunity over the next few weeks to view his beautiful and artistic work. Today´s feature of the Rice Krispies Kit Kat Bars is but one example of his creativity. Please click over to Tom’s personal website, brodiganphotography.com, to see more of his wonderful work.
|Rice Krispies Kit Kat Bars|| || |
- 10 ounces miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5½ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 8 ounces Kit Kat bars, chopped
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- additional miniature Kit Kat bars (optional)
- For the bars:
- Butter a 13” x 9” pan and set aside.
- Place the marshmallows and butter into a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and microwave an additional 45 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in Rice Krispies cereal and chopped Kit Kat bars. Transfer to the prepared pan. Butter a piece of wax paper and use this to evenly press the mixture into the pan.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
- For the optional topping:
- Brush a coating of melted chocolate onto the bottom of a miniature Kit Kat bar and place on top of each Rice Krispies Kit Kat Bar.
- Betsy's tidbit:
- If you do not have miniature Kit Kat bars, break a regular size Kit Kat bar into individual strips and ‘glue’ one strip over the top of each bar.