Banana, Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, Caramel Bars
Banana, Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, Caramel Bars sounds like a mouthful but this is, really, the only way to let you know what you’re about to delve into.
I had a few bananas that were, in terms of eating, past the point of return. You know the kind; they are bought just before they turn that perfect yellow only to be forgotten until they are bordering black. In other words, just right for baking.
As I wandered the aisles of Whole Foods looking for inspiration, I came across its section where peanut butters are made. You put a container under the nozzle, turn the machine on and watch as your very own peanuts are ground.
On this particular day honey roasted peanuts was one of the peanut butter options. I love honey roasted peanuts and thought that honey roasted peanut butter would be a great idea to mix with the bananas. I figured that the sweet coating on the peanuts would compensate to some degree for the lack of sugar in the peanut butter.
I made my first batch and thought they were good but not great, which meant I was not finished. I had a jar of caramel sauce in the house and decided to swirl some of that into the batter just before it baked.
This took the Banana, Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, Caramel Bars to the level I wanted, because they were delicious! The flavors of the bananas, honey roasted peanut butter and caramel complement each other beautifully.
The next time you have bananas that have stared at you a few days longer than they should, don’t throw them away. Instead, just remember to make a batch of Banana, Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, Caramel Bars. They are scrumptious to eat, take no time at all to put together and best of all they keep you from wasting those gorgeous baking bananas!
|Banana, Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, Caramel Bars|| |
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup honey roasted peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Spray a 9” x 13” baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the butter, honey roasted peanut butter, sugar, bananas and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Beat to combine the ingredients. Add the eggs one at a time. Blend in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Remove from the mixer and swirl in the caramel sauce. I prefer the swirl look but it’s fine if the caramel gets completely blended it.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325° for 35 minutes, rotating the pan front to back halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into bars.