Grilled Peanut Butter Apple Banana Sandwich
When I saw a banana competition that required bananas, peanut butter and apples in the recipe, I thought I could handle that one. Of course, I had to come up with a great creation, even if I did not at that time know that it would turn out to be a Grilled Peanut Butter Apple Banana Sandwich.
I went to my grocery store and as I wandered the aisles I saw thick cut oats that piqued my curiosity. I had, already, come to the conclusion that I was going to make a Grilled Peanut Butter Apple Banana Sandwich but, now, I knew I was going to coat the bread with these gorgeous oats.
I used Italian bread for my sandwich but any kind of bread you prefer will work, beautifully. The apple is sautéed in a little bit of butter with sugar and cinnamon. After the apples cool it’s time to put the sandwich together.
Peanut butter is spread over one side of bread that is topped with sautéed apples and layered with sliced bananas. The sandwich is dipped into beaten egg and then coated with thick cut oats. The final touch is to grill the sandwich in butter and serve hot out of the pan.
Thick cut oats may sound familiar, because I used them in Kathy Hester’s Gingerbread Pear Crumble.
Even though my recipe did not win the banana contest it is a winner with my family and friends. That’s good enough for me…this time!
|Grilled Peanut Butter Banana Apple Sandwich|| |
- 1 apple
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup thick cut oats
- 4 slices of thick cut bread
- peanut butter
- 1 banana, sliced in half and then lengthwise into four pieces
- Cut the apple into medium size pieces. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Sauté the apple with sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook until the apple pieces are soft, 8-10 minutes. Uncover and cook until the juice has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs on a plate that has a lip. Set aside.
- Spread the oats out onto a plate that has a lip and set aside.
- Spread peanut butter over one slice of bread. Place half of the cooled apples over the peanut butter. Top with half of the sliced bananas.
- Top with the other slice of bread. Dredge the sandwich in the eggs and then coat with the oats.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a pan large enough to hold the sandwich. Place the sandwich in the pan and cook over medium heat, covered, until the oats are toasty brown. Use two spatulas to flip the sandwich but add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan before placing the flipped sandwich back into the pan. Cover and cook until the oats are toasty brown.
- Remove from the pan, cut in half and serve.