|Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons |
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
Total time: 43 mins
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3½ cups unsweetened dried coconut
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites and salt in large mixing bowl until frothy. Add the sugar and whisk until the sugar is incorporated. You will not have soft peaks. Whisk in the vanilla. Lastly, fold in the coconut.
- Use a small cookie dough scoop to shape the cookies. Wipe excess mixture off of the bottom of the scoop for a neater cookie. Place scoops onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 16-18 minutes, rotating the pan front to back halfway through. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, melt the chocolate. Line a second baking sheet with either parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Dip the bottoms of each cookie into the chocolate and place onto the second baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to set. Peel off of the aluminum foil as soon as they set.
- Betsy's tidbit:
- Unsweetened dried coconut is also called coconut rappé.
Recipe by Desserts Required at http://www.dessertsrequired.com/chocolate-dipped-coconut-macaroons